Habitat for Humanity Grey Bruce (Habitat GB) is a non-profit housing organization that mobilizes volunteers and community partners to provide affordable housing and promote homeownership as a means to breaking the cycle of poverty. Founded on Christian principles, we welcome all people without discrimination to join us as we build simple, decent, and affordable homes in partnership with low-income families. By owning their own home, families are able to achieve greater stability, reduce their dependence on social assistance and improve their overall health, while building equity for their future.
As an affiliate of Habitat for Humanity Canada, we are…
- A non-profit home builder – we have built 36 homes in Grey Bruce since 1987
- A charity – donations fuel our mission
- A micro-financier – we provide interest free, zero down payment mortgages to our homeowners
- A community partner – we seek to partner with anyone who resonates with our mission
- A retailer – our three ReStores sell new and gently-used building materials and other products
- We build simple, decent homes which are then sold to selected partner families.
Why Habitat is Needed
The need for affordable housing continues to increase in many communities throughout Grey and Bruce counties. The average waiting list for assisted rental housing is about 3 years forcing many families to pay high rent in often substandard units.
There are nearly 2 billion people around the world who live in slum housing and more than 100 million are homeless. Habitat helps by building or renovating simple, decent houses in partnership with those in need. Not only do we want to be building homes here we are also committed to supporting the construction of homes internationally through annual contributions to Habitat Canada’s Global Neighbours Alliance.
To learn more about Habitat, watch this video.